Sunday, May 17, 2009

Filmatic Explosion Monday

Oh my crap kids, some exciting things have been percolating in the cinematic world while I wasn't looking! And here I thought that all I had to look forward to was the next Harry Potter movie!

I went onto Trailer Addict to see what was new and ended up spending an hour watching trailers. I literally had to tear myself away and go for a walk around the house to be able to sit down and write this review. Golly!

First up, Disney, for the first time in, what, 10 years? is making an actual animated movie, with only limited use of computers! And look at them act like it ain't even a thing that they took what looked like an indefinite hiatus from an artform they helped pioneer, not to mention that their core audience has no idea about The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and has only heard rumors about The Lion King late at night while they were tucked into bed and the grownups were talking down the hallway.

To be honest, I'm not completely in love with this, BUT, I am intrigued by the bayou setting, the voodoo doctor villain, and the sweet little animated touches that make me sigh wistfully for Disney days long lost to economics (note the gator playing various instruments; how much did you love The Rescuers? Possibly not as much as me.) And really, aren't we just slightly excited that SOMEONE at Disney noticed that there wasn't a whole lot of animating going on and decided to do something about it?

The Princess and the Frog Dec. 25, 2009



However, it pretty much looks like drunk mimes with broken legs in comparison to the holy grail of computer animation's newest project.

Up May 29, 2009




Now, if you're like me, you often find yourself wondering over a hot skillet full of scrambled eggs and sausage, "I wonder what Michael Keaton is up to?" Then you pour your orange juice and chuckle over several of the scenes in Beetlejuice and sigh wistfully over how Batman should have totally hooked up with Catwoman on a more permanent basis, all the while blocking out anything to do with Jack Frost or White Noise.

Good news everybody! Mr. Keaton is back on the playing field in the upcoming college version of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Post Grad, and this gorgeous little gem. Honestly, I could sit and listen to Kelly Macdonald's accent for DAYS, and it's been a while since the newsboy hat looked so...appropriate.

The Merry Gentleman May 1, 2009
Starring Michael Keaton, Kelly Macdonald, Tom Bastounes
Directed by Michael Keaton(!)





A little bit ago, I was somehow directed to a gay film site, and ran across this little gem. We probably won't see this ever, at least not until we have a drunken Ladies Night double-feature pairing this with Twilight, but I'm intrigued with this well-shot and well-costumed film that is "a nice-looking but self-conscious trifle that captures only glimpses of its subject's genius" (Brian Juergens, www.afterelton.com). Though for the life of me, I couldn't get the phrase "I doubt your commitment to the sparkle motion" out of my head.

Little Ashes May 8, 2009
Starring Javier Beltran, Robert Pattinson, Matthew McNulty
Directed by Paul Morrison





On the international front, these two films look directly up my beloved film teacher's alley.

Revanche tells the tragic tale of an ex-con working as an assistant in a brothel in Vienna who decides that robbing a bank is the best way to escape poverty with his Ukranian hooker girlfriend, crossing paths with a cop and his rural housewife. It was nominated for an Oscar this year, but I pretty much ignored the Oscars because they regularly piss me off.
Daily language lesson: revanche is French for "revenge." The more you know!

Revanche May 1, 2009
Starring Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko, Andreas Lust
Written and directed by Götz Spielmann




Out of the UK is Helen:
An 18 year old girl called Joy has gone missing. Another girl called Helen is a few weeks away from leaving her care home. Helen is asked to play Joy in a police reconstruction that will retrace her last known movements. Joy had everything. A loving family, a boyfriend, a bright future. Helen, parentless, has lived in institutions all her life and has never been close to anyone. Gradually Helen begins to immerse herself into the role, visiting the people and places that Joy knew; quietly and carefully insinuating her way into the lost girl's life. But is Helen trying to find out what happened to Joy that day, or is she searching for her own identity? (traileraddict.com)

I'm interested to see this, however, the review on imdb.com said that it doesn't live up to its promise. But you know, people have different standards.

Helen May 1, 2009
Starring Annie Townsend
Written and directed by Joe Lawlor and Christine Molloy





Some interesting documentaries I came across:

The Garden chronicles the fight between inner-city LA residents fighting a corrupt city official to keep their community garden open. This looks really good, and I already want to know how the conflict resolves.

The Garden May 1, 2009



The Transcendent Man introduces the life and philosophy of Ray Kurzweil, a genius multi-millionaire who predicts that man will one day merge with machines to complete the next evolutionary step. He walks the line between brilliant and crazy, and I suppose one could really see it either way. And yes, William Shatner, we want you to live forever, too.

The Transcendent Man May 1, 2009



Speaking of crazy futuristic conceptions, this movie looks SO GOOD. I'm not going to spoil it for you, just watch the trailer.

District 9 August 14, 2009
Written and Directed by Neill Blomkamp




All right, now, if you're still with me, listen hard. Even if you haven't watched any of the other trailers I put on here, WATCH THIS ONE. I broke out into the girliest squeals, THE GIRLIEST OF SQUEEKING AND SQUALLING, watching this trailer. I just about fainted from all the things that I love that are in this movie.
1.) DANIEL DAY-LEWIS. Oh my god. I love him so hard.
2.) The director of Chicago. Don't know if I mentioned HOW MUCH I LOVE CHICAGO, but BOY HOWDY, DO I.
3.) Dancing, singing, SPECTACLE (not the kind you put on your nose to see clearly)
4.) Dame Judy Dench. She's so awesome, and so British, and she is Ian McKellen's favorite fag-hag.
5.) SOPHIA GOL' DANGED LOREN

Goddamn, this looks so good, I might have peed a little.
A vibrant and provocative musical that follows the life of world famous film director Guido Contini (Daniel Day-Lewis) as he reaches a creative and personal crisis of epic proportion, while balancing the numerous women in his life including his wife (Marion Cotillard), his mistress (Penelope Cruz), his film star muse (Nicole Kidman), his confidant and costume designer (Judi Dench), an American fashion journalist (Kate Hudson), the whore from his youth (Fergie) and his mother (Sophia Loren). The film is directed by Rob Marshall (CHICAGO). The original 1982 Broadway production of Nine, with music and lyrics by Maury Yeston, won five Tony Awards including Best Musical. (traileraddict.com)

I...I really enjoy musicals.

Nine November 25, 2009
Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Judy Dench, Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson
Directed by Rob Marshall




Oh...oh man...I-I'm gonna need a minute.

'Til next time.


1 comment:

  1. 9 looks fantastic. I've been waiting on it for a while.

    The Princess and the Frog also features Disney's FIRST black princess, which is pretty jam imho.

    ReplyDelete